Safe Hazardous Materials Recycling
At Moffatt Scrap Iron & Metal Inc. we know how important it is to safely recycle materials. We pride ourselves on being good stewards and making responsible choices for the environment in the operation of our business. To this end, we are registered with and follow the guidelines as set out by the Province of Ontario.
Are scrap yards regulated?
Yes they are.
In order to recycle vehicles in the Province of Ontario, a recycling facility must register their activities as an End-of-Life Vehicle (ELV) waste disposal site — Moffatt Scrap Iron & Metal Inc.is registered. This means that any wastes removed from our site are managed in accordance with the applicable requirements as outlined by the province.
We are also registered in the province’s new Environmental Activity and Sector Registry (EASR).
How do we handle hazards?
We get a lot of questions from our customers, and from the community, about how we safeguard against leaks, spills, and contamination.
#1- Storing contaminants
- We do not store hazardous materials at our site and we work with registered companies to safely remove such hazards from our site.
- Everything brought to us is tested for radiation. This is not an option, this always happens. If we find something is radioactive, we will not accept it into the scrap yard.
#3- End-of-life Vehicle Fluids
- Every vehicle that is accepted into our scrap yard goes through a complete fluid capturing process with our SEDA machine (the world leader in vehicle recycling technology).
- Once the fluids are removed and contained, we bring in certified vendors in hazardous material collection and diversion to remove the materials from our site to be recycled elsewhere.
Safety is a key priority
Our key priority is the safety and well-being of our employees, customers, and suppliers.
At Moffatt Scrap Iron & Metal Inc., we ensure the following:
- We are complying with both industry standards and the legislated requirements.
- All our team members receive comprehensive training.
- We conduct preventative maintenance on all our equipment and monitor it routinely.
- We carry commercial liability insurance exceeding industry standards.
If you have more questions, or are interested in arranging a drop-off or pick-up, please contact us.